I am a social-personality psychologist interested in the relationship between culture and psychological processes. My research activities can be organized around the study of the following 2 general areas: (1) Multi/biculturalism: Psychological dynamics, individual differences, and consequences of having multicultural identities and experiences; (2) Culture and personality: Identification and measurement of culture-specific and -general personality constructs, links between bilingualism/biculturalism and personality self- and other-perceptions.
I investigate the above issues with multiple methods, which include experimental and correlational designs, with multiple types of data, such as self-report, behavioral, and social network data, and with diverse types of samples and cultural groups.
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Intergroup Relations
- Life Satisfaction, Well-Being
- Person Perception
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Political Psychology
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
- Sociology, Social Networks
Research Group or Laboratory:
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Benet-Martínez, V., & Hong, Y-Y. (2014). The Oxford handbook of multi-cultural identity. New York, NY: Oxford University Press. [Winner of 2015 APA Division 52 --International Psychology-- Book Award].
- Aaker, J., Benet-Martínez, V., & Garolera, J. (2001). Consumption symbols as carriers of culture: A study of Japanese and Spanish brand personality constructs. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 81, 249-264.
- Benet-Martínez, V., & Haritatos, J. (2005). Bicultural Identity Integration (BII): Components and psychosocial antecedents. Journal of Personality, 73, 1015-1050.
- Benet-Martínez, V., & John, O. P. (1998). Los Cinco Grandes across cultures and ethnic groups: Multitrait method analyses of the Big Five in Spanish and English. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 75, 729-750.
- Benet-Martínez, V., & Karakitapoglu-Aygun, Z. (2003). The interplay of cultural values and personality in predicting life-satisfaction: Comparing Asian- and European-Americans. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 34, 38-61.
- Benet-Martínez, V., Lee, F., & Leu, J. (2006). Biculturalism and cognitive complexity: Expertise in cultural representations. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 37, 386-407.
- Benet-Martínez, V., Leu, J., Lee, F., & Morris, M. (2002). Negotiating biculturalism: Cultural frame-switching in biculturals with "oppositional" vs. "compatible" cultural identities. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 33, 492-516.
- Benet-Martínez, V., & Waller, N. G. (1997). Further evidence for the cross-cultural generality of the "Big Seven" model: Imported and indigenous Spanish personality constructs. Journal of Personality, 65, 567-598.
- Benet, V., & Waller, N. G. (1995). The "Big Seven" model of personality description: Evidence for its cross-cultural generality in a Spanish sample. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 69, 701-718.
- Hong, Y., Morris, M., Chiu, C., & Benet-Martínez, V. (2000). Multicultural minds: A dynamic constructivist approach to culture and cognition. American Psychologist, 55, 709-720.
- Hong, Y.Y., Zhan, S., Morris, M., & Benet-Martinez, V. (2016). Multicultural identity processes. Current Opinion in Psychology, 8, 49-53.
- Miramontez, D., Benet-Martínez, V., & Nguyen, A.N. (2008). Bicultural Identity Integration and self-group personality perceptions. Self and Identity, 7, 430-445
- Naumann, L., Benet-Martinez, V., & Espinoza, P. (2017). Correlates of political ideology among US-born Mexican Americans: Cultural identification, acculturation attitudes, and socio-economic status. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 8, 20-28.
- Nguyen, A. M., & Benet-Martínez, V. (2013). Biculturalism and adjustment: A meta-analysis. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 44(1), 122-159.
- Ozer, D., & Benet-Martínez, V. (2006). Personality and the prediction of consequential outcomes. Annual Review of Psychology, 57, 401-421.
- Ramirez-Esparza, N., Gosling, S., Benet-Martínez, V., Potter, J., & Pennebaker, J. (2006). Do bilinguals have two personalities? A special case of cultural frame-switching. Journal of Research in Personality, 40, 99-120.
- Benet-Martínez, V. (2012). Multiculturalism: Cultural, personality, and social processes. In K. Deaux & M. Snyder (Eds.), Handbook of personality and social psychology (pp. 623-648). Oxford University Press
- Benet-Martínez, V. (2007). Cross-cultural personality research: Conceptual and methodological issues. In R. W. Robins, R. C. Fraley, & R. Krueger (Eds.), Handbook of research methods in personality psychology. New York: Guildford Press.
- Benet-Martínez, V., & Oishi, S. (2008). Culture and personality. In O. P. John, R. W. Robins, & L. A. Pervin (Eds.), Handbook of personality: Theory and research. New York: Guilford Press.
- John, O. P., & Benet-Martínez, V. (2000). Measurement, scale construction, and reliability. In H. T. Reis and C. M. Judd (Eds.), Handbook of research methods in social and personality psychology (pp. 339-369). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Acculturation and Enculturation
- Cultural Perspectives in Personality and Social Psychology
- Cultural Psychology
- Introduction to Personality Psychology
- Introduction to Psychology
- Political Psychology
- Social Psychology
Verónica Benet-Martínez, Ph.D.
Department of Social and Political Sciences
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Ramon Trias Fargas 25-27, Jaume I Building
- Phone: +34 93 5422684